Math Tutoring Lab
Location: Library 208 (map)
The lab is closed on campus holidays and during campus breaks.
Math Subjects Tutored:
- Beginning Statistics (during designated statistics tutoring hours, see detailed schedule)
- Calculus I-III
- Other math courses: check out Math Lab Tutors by Subject at the Math Tutoring Lab
How to Use the Math Tutoring Lab
- Bring your textbook and notes, laptop can also be helpful
- Sign in (including student ID #) & sign out
- Ask for help--raising your hand will let tutors know to come to you
- Feel welcome to do your homework in the Math Tutoring Lab
- Group up with others in your class to work together
- Bring your own calculators, pencils, etc.
Math Lab Tutor Role
The role of the tutors is not to give students the answers, but to teach students skills they can apply to their current assignment and future proficiency.
Tutors are Students Too
Even if they aren't experts in your subject, they will look at your problem and try to help you figure it out. We can't guarantee we can help with every problem, but we will try!
How to become a Math Lab Tutor
See the job description and instructions for applying on our Student Job Opportunities page.
Other Tutoring Options
- Small-group tutoring and One-on-one tutoring
- Private Tutors -- In the Math Dept. Office, there is a list of people available as tutors. This is like a "bulletin board" type of list. That is, these are not people sponsored or recommended by the Math Dept.
- Office Hours -- If you have made a serious effort and still need help, visit your professor during office hours.
- Videos – Many texts have videos on reserve in the library.
- Textbook Websites – Many texts have "companion websites." Often these have review pages, tutorials, and practice tests.
- Other Websites – There are lots of great math tutorial websites such as www.hippocampus.org or www.khanacademy.org
- Learning Strategies http://www.humboldt.edu/learning/workshops.php
All registered HSU students enrolled in a math course can use the lab, although not all tutors can tutor all math courses. HSU students who are not currently enrolled in a math course but wish to strengthen math skills in a particular area can also get assistance. Abusive or disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated in the Math Tutoring Lab.
The Math Tutoring Lab receives funds from Northcoast Math and Science Initiative (NMSI), College of Natural Resources & Sciences (CNRS), and Associated Students (AS) to provide free drop-in math tutoring.