Now there's a new way to access the HSU wireless network. Safe*Connect makes it quicker and easier for you to get connected and, as an added bonus, keeps your system more secure as well.
What to expect:
- When you go to access the HSU wireless network, you’ll be presented with a screen that asks you to enter your HSU User Name and Password
- Once you’re logged in, you’ll be asked to download a small software program called PolicyKey, which will check your system to ensure it meets HSU’s current security requirements. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the PolicyKey software.
What you can do now:
- To speed up your wireless registration, you can install the PolicyKey ahead of time. (If you are using an HSU-owned laptop and don't have administrative rights, you may need to ask the Technology Help Desk for assistance)
What PolicyKey does:
PolicyKey will scan your system for the following (as relevant to your operating system):
- Patched and updated operating system
- Up-to-date antivirus from the (also updated) approved list of antivirus programs
- Windows firewall enabled
- Windows updates enabled
- No network address translation device present
- No peer-to-peer software running
- No proxy running
If your system passes all these checks, the connection will be finalized and you’ll be able to use the web normally. If your system fails one or more checkpoints, you'll see a screen advising you of the problem and how to fix it. Even though you don’t have full web access, you’ll still be able to connect to specific websites that will enable you to download updates to bring your system into compliance, and to connect to the HSU Technology Help Desk
to log a ticket.
Once installed, PolicyKey remains on your computer, continually checking security status and alerting you if your system hasn’t been updated. PolicyKey doesn’t change anything on your computer. It just sits quietly in the background, doing its job of keeping everyone safer. From now on, you’ll only need to log on to wireless once a semester, and you shouldn’t need to reinstall the PolicyKey unless you’ve been off campus for more than 60 days.
You’ll find more information, helpful links, and FAQs about the new system on our wireless pages
You can always contact the Technology Help Desk
(826-4357) if you have any questions or concerns not covered on the website.