Skills for success
The same skills needed for success in face-to-face courses are needed in online courses, but research shows that the following are particularly important for online learners:
- Motivation and self-discipline: There is often no set schedule to online classes. You must make a real commitment to your assignments and deadlines.
- Time management: Use Google Calendar.
- Effective and appropriate communication: Your online classes are an academic environment, so communicate accordingly.
- Collaborative working skills: In an online course, participation in online study groups and discussions can make all the difference.
To take online courses, it’s important to know how to:
- use a web browser to access websites and follow links on web pages.
- use a word processor to create and save documents.
- send and reply to e-mail messages.
- attach files to e-mail messages.
- type at least 25 w.p.m.
Minimum hardware & software requirements
You will need:
- access to a computer, a tablet or a smart phone.
- Internet access.
- word processing capability (Microsoft Word, Pages, Google Docs, or other).
- a web browser (Firefox [recommended for Moodle], Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or other)
You may need:
- video recording capability (webcam, digital camera, smartphone or tablet)
For specific questions about the technical suitability of your equipment for taking online courses, contact the HSU Help Desk: 707-826-4357 or by e-mail.