First Year Advising
Welcome new Environmental Science and Environmental Management & Protection students!
Congratulations on being accepted into this program! Your next step is to enroll for Fall semester classes. In early June you will receive information from the Humboldt Orientation Program (HOP). It is through this program that all new HSU students register for Fall 2014 classes.
Choosing classes is exciting, but can seem complex to new students. The following information - on this and the other linked pages - is designed to support you in choosing the best classes for your first semester at Humboldt State University. It can help you with planning classes during HOP registration and in future semesters.
Here are 3 things you can do now:
- Explore the Environmental Science and Management Department website to learn more about your declared major, options and careers.
- Go to the Overview of the Bachelor’s Degree to understand how to plan your classes for the first semester and beyond.
- Need advice? As you enroll for classes, HOP counselors will be available to help you. You are also welcome to contact your ESM advisor Gilly Black during the summer by email: Gillian.email@example.com. Be sure to talk to her if you are uncertain about your declared major or option. There are a variety of possible first semester classes to choose from that will allow you to keep your final choice open.
Once the semester begins, you should plan to meet with Gilly at least 2-3 times per semester. Every student arrives at HSU with a unique starting point, so your advising meetings with her will be tailored to your particular needs and circumstances.
You may simply need guidance selecting the most appropriate classes. However, she can also assist with:
- Understanding University requirements
- Accessing campus resources
- Discussing potential careers and life goals
- Navigating life in a new environment
- Introducing you to Faculty
During the school year she is available full-time Monday – Friday in her office in the Wildlife and Fisheries Building, room 268.
We look forward to meeting you soon.
The following pages are a quick guide to assist new students registering for their first semester of classes. To access more detail see Bachelor’s Degree Resources video or purchase the HSU catalog at the campus bookstore.