The Master of Arts in Social Science program draws upon the expertise of faculty in a wide array of social science disciplines and offers students a challenging curriculum with a unique combination of courses, readings, field experience and a speaker series. Together, we explore the following:
- The relationship between environment and community
- The meaning of community in an age of globalization
- Responsibility for stewardship of the environment
- Issues of scale in environmental management, regulation, and policy
- Balancing community needs with the needs of the environment
In addition to social science theory, students will gain practical knowledge about environments and communities in the U.S. and around the globe, and the economic, social, and political factors that shape them. Students who complete this program will leave Humboldt State University with a richer understanding of the complexities of communities and environments and the skills necessary for future careers in a variety of academic and non-academic fields.