eLearning at HSU
In the College of eLearning and Extended Education (CEEE), the instructional design services encompass three areas of support that are designed to supplement and improve the overall online experience of faculty and students, and inform the vision of online/hybrid instruction and learning to enhance student success for the university. These areas are:
- Faculty Support
- Student Support
- Program Support
Each area of support represents a critical foundational piece of a holistic approach to the development of sustainable online programs.
For online programs to succeed, faculty must confident in both teaching in an online environment and utilizing technology effectively. In support of this effort, the following services will be provided:
- Group workshops on pedagogy and the use of available/emerging technology
- One-on-one course development and instructional design assistance for full-online, hybrid, and web-enhanced courses
- Facilitation of an online community that provides opportunities for instructors to connect with one another, an archive of teaching strategies, best practices and emerging technologies
- Strategies for faculty to promote critical thinking, motivation and interaction among students
- Research and development in the educational technologies and practices
- Support for graphics, multimedia, and open education resources
To support student success in online college programs and courses there will be:
- An online student success resource, “eLearning 101” on-going class for students that will contain an orientation to the technology, technology assistance, best practices and success strategies in online learning, and an online student community
- Support for student accessibility, ATI, and Universal Design for Learning (e.g. provide captioning for video and audio files for online courses)
In support of new online and hybrid programs, the eLearning staff in coordination with professional programs will provide:
- Consultation on new and existing program development
- Course alignment with department, college and university learning outcomes
- Department workshops on pedagogical strategies and eLearning
- Online course and quality assurance review
- Assistance in the marketing of online programs
The Instructional Design team consists of the Director of Academic Technology, five instructional designers, and a graphic designer.
For more information or assistance, contact Geoff Cain, the Director of Academic Technology at 707-826-3770 or via e-mail.