Print Friendly

Take HSU classes at a reduced rate in the Over 60 Program

If you are age 60 or older and a Cal­i­for­nia res­i­dent, you are invited to par­tic­i­pate in the Hum­boldt State Uni­ver­sity Over 60 Pro­gram dur­ing the fall and spring semes­ters. You must be a cur­rent res­i­dent of Cal­i­for­nia, and have lived in Cal­i­for­nia for at least one year.

The CSU sys­tem accepts only non-matriculated new stu­dents in the Over 60 Pro­gram. (If you are a con­tin­u­ing matric­u­lated Over 60 Pro­gram stu­dent, you may con­tinue in the pro­gram until you com­plete your degree.)

The Over 60 pro­gram does not accept stu­dents for sum­mer ses­sion. This infor­ma­tion applies to fall and spring semes­ters only.

Cost and ser­vices avail­able through the Over 60 Pro­gram are sub­ject to change with­out notice.


The fee is $52/semester (fall and spring only). Par­tic­i­pants may take up to 6 units per semes­ter. If you are a new stu­dent, you must pay an addi­tional $5 fee for an HSU ID Card.


Over 60 Pro­gram par­tic­i­pants are among the last to reg­is­ter in any given term; there­fore, you can­not sign up for a class until the first day of the semester.

You may select the courses you are inter­ested in tak­ing by using the online class schedule.

The Over 60 Pro­gram fees only apply to reg­u­lar Uni­ver­sity courses – they do not apply to Dis­tance & Extended Edu­ca­tion courses or OLLI (Osher Life­long Learn­ing Insti­tute). You must pay the fees for these courses sep­a­rately and in full.

Non-matriculated Over 60 Students

Non-matriculated stu­dents are those who have not been admit­ted into a degree program.

Non-matriculated Over 60 stu­dents should com­plete a reg­is­tra­tion form from the Office of Dis­tance & Extended Education.

On this form, you must obtain the sig­na­tures of the course instruc­tor and depart­ment approval for each course.

You should then bring the form to the Office of Dis­tance & Extended Edu­ca­tion, where you will com­plete the reg­is­tra­tion process includ­ing fee pay­ment. You may pay with cash, check, VISA, Mas­ter­Card or Discover.

For courses that last the entire semes­ter, you should com­plete your reg­is­tra­tion within the first two weeks of the semester.

Matric­u­lated Over 60 Students

New matric­u­lated stu­dents (those who have been admit­ted into a degree pro­gram) are no longer accepted into the Over 60 Pro­gram. How­ever, matric­u­lated Over 60 stu­dents will be allowed to con­tinue in the Over 60 Pro­gram until com­ple­tion of their degree. They will pay the cur­rent fee and be lim­ited to 6 units per semes­ter (fall and spring only).

Matric­u­lated Over 60 stu­dents tak­ing more than 6 units will be required to pay reg­u­lar stu­dent fees for the addi­tional units. These stu­dents will be con­tacted by the Office of the Registrar.


Gen­eral Infor­ma­tion about the Over 60 Program

Credit/No Credit/Audit:

Classes are avail­able on a “credit/no credit” or let­ter grade. You can also choose to “audit” the class. Credit/no credit grad­ing mode should be selected when you reg­is­ter for a class. Audit­ing requires a spe­cial form approved by the instruc­tor for each class to be audited. This form is avail­able in the Office of the Reg­is­trar, SBS 133. [This infor­ma­tion is sub­ject to change]

Dropping/Adding a Class:

If you wish to add a class, or decide to stop going to class dur­ing a semes­ter, you must do so prior to the dead­line pub­lished in the Exten­sion bul­letin or go to Dates to Remember.

ID Card & Library:

As a par­tic­i­pant in the Over 60 Pro­gram, you are enti­tled to HSU library priv­i­leges with the use of your stu­dent ID Card.

If you are a new stu­dent and include $5 for an HSU ID card in your fees to the Office of Dis­tance & Extended Edu­ca­tion, you will be mailed a receipt for both.

Your name and HSU ID num­ber will be pro­vided to the HSU library.

New stu­dents need to make arrange­ments at the HSU library for hav­ing a pic­ture taken for the ID.

ID Card pho­tos are taken in the HSU library (Fall/Spring, sub­ject to change):
Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 6–9 p.m. or by appoint­ment by call­ing 826‑5601.

Refund Pol­icy:

Please read the refund pol­icy in the Exten­sion bul­letin or go to Drops and Refunds.

Refunds are applied to the $51 per semes­ter fee for up to 6 units.


Trans­porta­tion Services:

The Jack Pass pro­vides unlim­ited access to buses of the Arcata and Mad River Tran­sit Sys­tem, the Red­wood Tran­sit Sys­tem and the Eureka Tran­sit Sys­tem. It is avail­able with a cur­rent HSU ID and the pay­ment of a $60 fee (as of fall 2012). This fee is paid at the Stu­dent Finan­cial Ser­vices office located on the sec­ond floor of the Stu­dent Busi­ness Ser­vices building.

When you pay this fee, you will receive a receipt and your infor­ma­tion will be elec­tron­i­cally given to the bus com­pany. It is wise to keep the receipt in case it takes a cou­ple of days for the bus com­pany to upload the information.

Other Priv­i­leges:

Those enrolled in the Over 60 Pro­gram through Dis­tance & Extended Edu­ca­tion will also be enti­tled to HSU com­puter lab priv­i­leges, educationally-priced hard­ware and soft­ware from the HSU Book­store, and dis­counted admis­sion to HSU ath­letic events.

Also, Over 60 stu­dents may gain access to the HSU Stu­dent Recre­ation Cen­ter for $48/semester. Pay­ment is accepted directly at the Stu­dent Recre­ation Cen­ter. Ther­after, these priv­i­leges will be avail­able when you show your HSU ID card.

Emer­gency Services:

Health ben­e­fits are not avail­able to stu­dents in the Over 60 Pro­gram. Emer­gency ser­vices are avail­able at the Stu­dent Health Cen­ter: 826‑3146 or by call­ing 911.


Park­ing Permits:

Before you buy a per­mit, esti­mate how many times you class will meet. Com­pare that to a semes­ter park­ing per­mit price and to the cost of park­ing at a meter. You might save money by pur­chas­ing one-day per­mits or park­ing at a meter.

To get more infor­ma­tion about park­ing, go the Park­ing and Com­muter Ser­vices website.

More Ques­tions?

If you have ques­tions regard­ing the Over 60 Pro­gram, please con­tact the Office of Dis­tance & Extended Edu­ca­tion, call (707) 826‑3731, or e-mail.

Cost and ser­vices avail­able through the Over 60 Pro­gram are sub­ject to change with­out notice.