Jobs & Internships
Position Title: Facilities Assistant
Organization Name: Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center
Wage Type: Hourly
Wage: $8.50/hour starting
Work Schedule: Flexible (Mon – Sun, 7am-10pm)
Application Review Begins: March 17th, 2014
Hours per Week: 10 – 20
Position Open Until Filled
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Facilities Assistant helps with the daily operations of facility rentals, waterfront aquatic rentals, and programming taking place at the Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center (HBAC) under the supervision of the HBAC administrative staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Building Maintenance: General interior cleaning (vacuuming, dusting, mopping, dishes, trash, laundry, etc.) and general exterior maintenance (trash, weeds, windows, sweeping, landscaping as trained and needed).
- Room Set-Ups: Loading/unloading tables and chairs, rearranging furniture & room set up as directed, operating and assisting with audio/visual equipment, preparing water, coffee, and tea service
- Reception Duties: Providing customer service to the public, using the telephone/copy/fax, taking down detailed messages and answering questions, utilizing the CLASS database system as trained, selling concessions, cash handling, building tours, and assisting in the aquatic rental program paperwork and gear preparation.
- Aquatic Rentals: Assist customers with on-site aquatic rentals, help prepare boats and equipment (includes heavy lifting), assist customers with instruction and adjustment of gear, lead rental classes, clean up boats and gear and complete follow-up paperwork, help with set up and clean up of rental area in the morning and afternoon, complete projects for programs as requested.
- General: Assisting in marketing efforts such as catalog distribution and tabling at events, contributing to special event preparation and staffing, assist with leading aquatic activities to level of training, other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to respond courteously and knowledgeably to the needs of all customers, proper telephone etiquette and other related business practices
- Ability to pay attention to detail, accurately record data, and multi-task
- Extremely reliable and dependable with a flexible weekly schedule
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Positive and professional attitude
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a CA Department of Boating & Waterways Safe Boating certification as well as current CPR/First Aid
- Work/drive to both Eureka HBAC and HSU Recreation and Wellness Center
- Landscaping and outdoor maintenance experience
- Waterfront aquatic program training or experience in areas such as kayaking, sailing, stand up paddling, canoeing
- Experience using a power washer
- Audio and visual equipment experience (setting up & troubleshooting)
- Cash register and money handling experience
- Night time availability
- Sea kayaking knowledge and skills
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (707.443.1527) or in person at the Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center (921 Waterfront Dr., Eureka, CA 95501). For the University Center Student Application click here. For the Non-Student Application click here.
Position Title: Personal Trainer
Organization Name: Student Recreation Center
Hours per Week: 2-10 hours
Wage Type: Hourly
Wage: $15/hour starting
Work Schedule: Flexible, appointment based, may include nights and weekends
Position open until filled
JOB DESCRIPTION: Personal Trainers are responsible for providing guidance in proper exercise technique, assisting member-clients in establishing effective fitness/wellness goals through tailored exercise programs, and motivating clients by serving as a training partner. Position reports to the SRC Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide workouts that are fun and challenging, driven by an energetic attitude, always upbeat, and motivating to members
- Design specific exercise routines that align directly to each client’s lifestyle and personal goals
- Instructs clients on effective workout methods; explains proper techniques, demonstrates exercises
- Assist clients, answer questions, and maintain a positive exercise experience for personal training participants
- Keep management informed of customer and facility needs
- Ensure safe and effective use of equipment
- Responsible for following SRC safety procedures and protocols
- Meet all physical demands required to demonstrate proper use of equipment and fitness techniques
- An understanding of strength training and cardiovascular exercise
- Ability to use and operate a variety of strength training and cardiovascular equipment
- Knowledge of basic anatomy and physiology
- Customer service skills
- Communication skills
- Maintain current nationally recognized “Certified Personal Trainer” certification
- Preferred certifications: ACSM, NASM, CSCS, or NSCA
- CPR, AED and First Aid current certification
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Submit a cover letter, resume, and application by email (email@example.com), fax (707.826.3354), or in person at the Student Recreation Center (Student Recreation Center, HSU Campus, 1 Harpst St, Arcata, CA 95521). For the University Center Student Application click here. For the Non-Student Application click here.